GED (General Educational Development)
Main Cheyenne Campus
Candidates are encouraged to enroll in the GED® program to complete their GED preparation. This preparation is free. Individualized instruction is provided to prepare students to complete the GED tests. Classes offered include reading, writing, math, science and social studies.
Students who are 16 or 17 years of age must complete age waiver requirements through ACES prior to taking the tests.
The GED battery consists of five tests:
- Language Arts, Writing: 2 hours
- Mathematics: 90 minutes
- Social Studies: 70 minutes
- Science: 80 minutes
- Language Arts, Reading: 65 minutes
All GED testing is by appointment only. Appointments must be made at least 48 hours in advance. You are not scheduled for a test until a staff person confirms your appointment.
- Must be 18 years old to test OR 16-17 years old with an approved age waiver.
- GED demographic information must be completed prior to taking first test. Contact us to arrange a time to complete the information at the Testing Center.
- Bring valid (non-expired) government-issued photo identification.
- Arrive early. Late testing is not permitted.
- Candidates can test three times per subject per calendar year if needed to complete GED requirements. After two failures in a subject, a candidate must be approved by ACES to retest.
- Notice: A new computer-based version of the GED test is expected in 2014. Current test scores cannot be combined with the new version. By Dec. 31, 2013, you must complete all GED certificate requirements or you will need to take all the subject tests in the 2014 computer-based version.
- Tests are subject to change due to campus closures. Emergency and weather-related closures are announced on local radio and TV stations, the home page of the LCCC website, and at the main LCCC phone number, 307.778.5222.
Administrative fee ......... $15 (one-time fee)
Scoring fee.....................$25 (one-time fee)
Cost per test ..................$10 (for each test)
Retest fee ......................$15 (for each test)
Example: Five tests at $10 each = $50, plus administrative and scoring fees = $90
- The administrative and scoring fees are due at the first testing session. In addition, you will pay for each test you take.
- There is a $15 fee for each retest. Candidates must take all five tests before a retest is permitted.
- No refunds are given. Prepaid testing fees and scholarships do expire. Please complete testing promptly.
- Pay your testing fees with cash, check (made out to LCCC), or Visa, MasterCard or Discover.
- There is a $10 service charge for all returned checks.
GED Certificate Requirements
- Must have an overall average of 450 upon completing all five tests.
- The lowest passing individual GED test score is 410.
- The five GED standard scores are totaled and must equal 2250 to earn a GED certificate.
The State of Wyoming GED Administrator will mail your certificate within four weeks to the address provided on your GED application. Official transcript requests should be directed to the GED administrator, Wyoming Community College Commission, 307.777.5897.
Reasonable accommodations may be requested for people with documented disabilities. Get an Accommodation Request form online
or contact us to pick one up.
GED scores can be received online at http://GED123.org
using the access code received with first test score.
Albany County Campus
All policies listed for the Cheyenne campus apply at the Albany County Campus. Achieve your goals in General Educational Development (reading, writing, math, social studies, and science) through a variety of methods. Instruction is either on a one-on-one basis or in small groups.
Pre-Testing and Instruction
Students begin their program by completing an assessment. This assessment will allow us to design an educational plan that best fits each student's needs.
We use a variety of instructional devices and programs to help students achieve their goals. These include:
- individual study sessions with an instructor
- small group session
- subject assignments out of GED preparation book
- online programs that can be completed from home
Official Practice Tests and GED Signup
After the student has completed assigned work and has shown improvement, we will begin the Official GED Practice Tests. These tests familiarize students of the proper method of filling out the bubble sheets, calculator usage, and make sure the student is ready for the actual GED test. Once the student's instructor feels he/she is ready for the GED test, they will then be signed up for the tests.
The GED test costs $75 for all five tests at the Albany County Campus in Laramie. If these fees present a problem, please speak with your instructor about applying for a scholarship.
GED® and GED Testing Service® are registered trademarks of the American Council on Education (ACE). They may not be used or reproduced without the express written permission of ACE or GED Testing Service. The GED® and GED Testing Service® brands are administered by GED Testing Service LLC under license from the American Council on Education.