Testing Center/ACT Placement Testing
In order to register you for classes, we need to assess your skill level in three key areas (English, math and reading). Admission to LCCC is not based on these scores.
We recommend taking the ACT, especially for Wyoming students, because of the Hathaway Scholarship.
Please view the schedule of upcoming dates and times of testing. Testing often takes place during the day, and the Testing Center is unavailable to answer the phone. If you cannot reach the Testing Center, please call the Admissions Office at 307.778.1357.
Placement Testing (COMPASS)
- You must submit an LCCC application before you take a placement test if you are taking this test to enroll in LCCC classes. If you meet prerequisite requirements through a prior degree, transcript, ACT or placement scores from another campus, you are exempt.
- Paper and pencil are provided. You are welcome to bring your own calculator.
- Although there is no time limit, you should allow at least two hours to take the three (English, math and reading) placement tests.
- Two retests allowed per year at an additional fee.
- An appointment must be made in advance for evening testing.
Please view the schedule of upcoming dates and times to take the COMPASS test
Students who have completed COMPASS, ACCUPLACER, ASSET or the ACT test at another institution can transfer these assessment scores to the LCCC Testing Center. If you are transferring ACT test scores, please contact the Admissions Office for assistance in having these scores honored at LCCC.
CLEP/DSST (Formerly DANTES) Credit by Examination
- An appointment must be made in advance.
- A nonrefundable administration fee of $20 for each exam is payable at the time of testing. Payment can be made either by cash or check payable to LCCC.
- A nonrefundable fee of $80 is charged for each CLEP examination payable at the time of testing. Discover, Visa, MasterCard and American Express are accepted.
- A nonrefundable fee of $80 is charged for each DSST examination payable at the time of testing. Visa, MasterCard and American Express are accepted. Military personnel testing at the main campus must pay fees and then work with DANTES for reimbursement. Military personnel are encouraged to test at F.E. Warren Air Force Base: 307.773.2113.
- An appointment must be made at least 24 hours in advance. Limited number of spaces available for each scheduled session.
- The Kaplan Nurse Entrance Test is three hours. No charge, calculator provided. Need minimum overall score of 70 and a reading score of 73 on same test to apply.
- Kaplan can be taken up to three times. No more than two tests in a semester. There is a three-week waiting period between tests. If unsuccessful on third attempt, two-year waiting period from date of last test taken.
- LPN STEP (for advanced placement) is $20 cash or check. Timed three-hour test, calculator provided. Minimum Adjusted Individual
Total Score of 66.4 to apply.
- LPN STEP can be taken a maximum of twice in a 12-month period. There is a two-week waiting period between tests. Passing score is valid for one year.