Exercise Science - Physical Education Teacher Education Concentration
Associate of Science
The Physical Education Teacher Education Concentration leads to an Associate of Science degree and is designed to prepare students to meet academic standards leading to a bachelor degree at a four-year institution. Students are exposed to behavioral, humanistic and pedagogical studies that foster an understanding of schools as an institution and the value of physically active lifestyles in Pre K-12 students. Students interested in coaching or recreation-oriented careers may also find this program of interest.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the teaching profession as well as the history and development of Physical Education as an academic discipline.
- Demonstrate competent motor skills performance in a variety of physical activities.
- Describe and apply bioscience (anatomical, physiological) concepts to skilled movement and fitness.
- Identify components of a healthy lifestyle and describe behavior modification to enhance their health.
- Identify, select and implement appropriate learning practice opportunities based on understanding the students, the learning environment and the task. (adopted Aug. 1, 2012)
This program is articulated with the University of Wyoming. Any deviations from the prescribed course list will not articulate.
For a map and specific hours these facilities are open for personal use, see the PE Recreation and Fitness web page.
- Aerobic center featuring a state-of-the-art oak dance floor.
- Climbing wall for bringing the outdoors inside.
- Gym with a full regulation court and two half-courts. The two half-courts use retractable baskets.
- Multipurpose room with four indoor tennis and volleyball courts.
- 25-meter swimming pool with 6 lap lanes and a diving board.
- Oak-floored racquetball courts.
- Free weight room featuring HardKore floor machines, Hammer Jammer, and free-weight areas.